You’re 7% there. Please keep your computer on.
OK, Mr. Computer, I’ll do that, and I’ll write all about it while I wait.
I’m working right now, only I’m not really working because I’m waiting for updates to install. I snoozed the restart notification this morning, but snoozing is all you can do. That update is coming for you whether you want it or not. You can put it off, but you can’t escape. The spinning wheel will not be denied.
*****
It’s 15 minutes later, and I’m still waiting, and it’s a welcome break because I’m distracted and can’t concentrate. Inability to concentrate has always been a problem for me, but it’s so much worse than usual right now. I can keep my mind on one thing for five to seven minutes at a time. No matter what I am doing, I’m thinking about something else that I should be doing. I certainly don’t envy a gnat, but I do covet its attention span.
Yes, it is that bad.
And yet, I still accomplish stuff. I even won an award at work this week and while I would not say that I win awards all the time, I win them enough to know that my confidence in my work is not misplaced. I have a lot of satisfied customers.
I'm making the gnat-like attention span work in my favor. I always have many projects underway; some big and some small, and some immediate and others more long-term. On any given day, I work on ten different things, at a minimum. When I can’t focus, I take a breath and shift to another project. I do that multiple times a day. My goal is always to finish at least one thing every day - doesn’t matter if it’s a big thing or a small thing, as long as I can cross it off the list. I crossed two things off the list today, and I made enough progress on some other things that my list-crossing prospects for tomorrow look very good too. I should be a LinkedIn influencer. No wonder I’m out here winning awards.
No comments:
Post a Comment