Saturday, June 13, 2015

Every few days, give or take, I write the book

Who said that a talent for writing does not necessarily mean a talent for writing anything?  Everyone whoever sat at a keyboard, probably.  Reading novels is easy; writing them is not.

****

Never having attempted fiction, except for a short story that was required for my last college class, I'm finding that it requires a bent of mind that I probably don't have.  I like to write dialogue, but everything else is relentlessly hard.  Maybe I should try to write a dialogue-only novel (note to self: has this been done already? investigate) or maybe I should try to just adjust to the relentless hardness and continue with the one that I started.

****

It's been months since I wrote those paragraphs, and the novel has been set aside.  I like the voice of the main character (she reminds me of someone--who could it be?) but I can't figure out what to do with her.  I could:

  1. Try to keep her in the situation she's in and see what happens.   That approach isn't working too well. 
  2. Keep the character, but put her completely elsewhere.  I don't know where else she belongs, though, other than blue-collar Philadelphia circa 1986. 
  3. Start all over.  New character, new setting, a completely new idea altogether. 
I think that I'll try 2 first.  If it doesn't work, and it won't, then onto Plan B, which in this case is Plan 3.  Tonight, though, I think I'll just go to sleep.  I'm too tired to write. 

No comments:

Post a Comment