Friday, August 23, 2024

Vacation reading (with meandering and spoilers)

I’m always trying to stay ahead of the book list, because one day, I’ll publish it in January. It’ll happen. Maybe even next year. 

I read four books during my recent vacation; or rather, I read 3.5 books because I didn’t finish the fourth one until later. I always read a lot during my vacation, because I can. Thanks to the temporary loss of my Kindle, happily recovered a few days later, I read Murder on the Orient Express, the only book on the beach condo’s bookshelf that didn’t actively repel me, and it was delightful. I might read a few more Agatha Christies, just for fun. I have no interest in American murder mysteries, but British murder mysteries are a different thing altogether. 

On the first and second days of our vacation, I read Anne Applebaum’s newest book, Autocracy Inc.. It’s a short and very well researched explanation of autocratic governments in the 21st century, which are far more concerned with accumulating and keeping wealth for the autocrats and their friends and families and henchpeople than with any particular political ideology. Ideologically, as Applebaum explains, autocrats are all over the place, from the far left of Venezuela’s Nicolas Maduro to the far right of Hungary’s Viktor Orban and Russia’s Vladimir Putin. But ideology is secondary to money in an autocratic regime, which exists to hold on to its power and to further enrich itself. With money comes a firmer grasp on power, and the power enables further accumulation of money. In the autocratic countries that are still within the traditional world political order, the autocrats become wealthy by legitimate means in markets manipulated and regulated to favor their interests. In pariah countries, the money is outright stolen, or gained through criminal enterprises - drugs, human trafficking, arms sales. 

One of the biggest differences between dictatorships in the 21st and 20th centuries, as Applebaum writes, is not so much the utter disregard for truth as the lack of concern about world opinion that seems to be a defining characteristic of 21st century autocrats. As she reminds us, dictators used to at least lie about their motives and to try to convince the world that their people were better off than the citizens of free countries. Now, not only do dictators do whatever they want - steal, kill, stifle the media, rewrite election laws to solidify their grip on power - they don’t care what anyone thinks, at home or abroad. They don’t care about their “position on the world stage,” if that even means anything anymore. 

Just as I was wondering if there was any hope at all in a world in which the powerful can operate with near total impunity, Applebaum also reminded me that we do still have ways to save our own democracy, and to pressure the dictators to change their behavior. Laws that punish individuals and companies that do business with autocratic thugs, and enforcement of existing laws and sanctions, can make a huge difference. Anne Applebaum has been writing about dictators for a long time, and although she is realistic and clear-eyed about our tenuous grasp on freedom and democracy, she’s also optimistic. 

*****

I wanted to read a companion piece to Autocracy, Inc., so I downloaded Twilight of Democracy. And then I lost my Kindle for a few days, and had to turn my attention to a murder on a luxury train from Istanbul to Paris in the years leading up to World War II. Murder on the Orient Express is one of the best-selling novels of all time, and I was familiar with the basic premise but I had no idea how it was going to turn out, although I did have some guesses, which turned out to be partly correct. And just as I was about to read the final whodunit chapter, my Kindle appeared in the cushions of a chair in which I had not even sat, and so two mysteries were solved in the same day. I learned exactly who killed the vile Mr. Ratchett, and then I started another Anne Applebaum book. 

Anne Applebaum wrote Twilight of Democracy amid the craziness that was 2020. The book begins and ends with parties, at the beginning of the then-new 21st century and the end of the pandemic, if it ever actually ended, because I know at least 10 people who have had COVID this summer but I digress. 

2020 seems like a long time ago, and like yesterday, simultaneously. One of the defining features of that year was the way in which so many people just lost their minds, and apparently, this was not unique to America, though it was probably worse here thanks to you know who. In Poland, the collective mind-losing seems to have started earlier. Applebaum writes about family divisions and broken friendships resulting from politics, and pinpoints those divisions to conspiracy theories around the Smolensk plane crash that killed Polish President Lech Kaczynski. I won’t even try to recount the details but to boil it down to oversimplified basics, conspiracy theorists claimed that the plane was deliberately targeted by assassins, aided and abetted by Kaczynski’s political opponents. I don’t know a thing about modern Poland, but I know all about once-reasonable people adopting conspiracy theories as truth, and defending their beliefs with religious fervor, and turning their politics into a cult. 

*****

The years since 2017, and more so the years since 2020 have been a challenging time for the idea of truth. We might have expected that advanced technology would make it harder for people to tell lies and get away with it, and in some ways that is true. You can’t really fake a resume anymore. You can’t claim to be a Harvard graduate or an Olympian or a war hero unless you actually are one. Factual claims about one’s life and background are very easily proven and disproven, thanks to the Internet. 

But of course it’s very easy to fake evidence to support a false claim that someone said or did something, and it’s also very easy to alter evidence so that it “proves” whatever claim you want to make or supports whatever “truth” you want people to believe. Even smart people can be easily fooled by clever deep fakes and sophisticated image manipulation. Stupid people are even more easily fooled.

By the way, I’m not saying which one I am, because it varies. Sometimes I’m brilliant and sometimes I’m a fucking moron. Just keeping it real, because I always keep it real.

*****

I remember reading some Christian apologetics essay that points out a key reason to believe in the claims of the faith, that reason being that the early Christians and many martyrs since have gone to their deaths rather than recant their faith. The argument here is that a person might be willing to die for a belief that isn’t true, but they won’t do so knowingly. People won’t risk their lives for a lie that they know to be a lie. It’s a pretty solid argument, but I don’t think it holds up given the bloody history of the 20th century and the first part of the 21st. 

Although maybe it does hold up. Taking Nazis and Communists, for example, because the 20th century is always my default frame of reference - many millions, of course, genuinely believed in these causes and died accordingly. But others, I would suggest, government officials and military officers and politicians, supported Hitler or Stalin for reasons of convenience, and believed, incorrectly, that their positions in the government or the party or the upper echelons of society, would protect them from the wrath of the despots. Some believed that they could play both sides against the middle, faking devotion to the Nazi or Soviet cause while simultaneously exploiting the true believers and protecting their own power and their own self interest. The gulags and concentration camps were populated with plenty of those people, lots of whom went to their deaths having once supported lies that they knew to be lies and only realizing their mistake when it was too late. 

*****

Yes, I know that Trump hasn’t sent anyone to a concentration camp. Yet. But the Hitler and Stalin analogies are still apt here because they illustrate the phenomenon by which certain unprincipled or cowardly people convince themselves that they can get in bed with the devil and still wake up clean and safe and well-rested. And no matter how many times they see those who have gone before suffer the rude awakening find-out moment after the reckless fucking around, they believe that they are different, that they will be fine as long as they are useful and loyal. In the FAFO lifecycle, the FA phase is always a lot more fun than the inevitable FO phase. That’s free advice to JD Vance, who probably won’t heed until it’s too late. Hey JD, give Mike Pence a call. He can fill you in. Maybe he can hook you up with a competent barber, too. 

*****

See what happens? I was supposed to be talking about books, but I got distracted. Don't say you weren't warned, though, because the disclaimer is right there in the title. Caveat emptor. 

But let’s get back to the vacation reading: Two non-fiction books, two novels. One classic novel, one contemporary novel. A few weeks before our vacation, I bought a Kindle copy of Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow because antisemitic “pro-Palestine” (scare quotes intentional) influencers mounted a boycott campaign against its author, Gabrielle Zevin, for no discernible reason other than that she is Jewish. Having bought it, I had to read it, and I’m glad I did, because it’s very good. I went in not knowing a thing about it, and I was very surprised to find a novel about video game designers so absorbing, because this is a topic in which I have absolutely no interest. But of course, the video game industry is just a setting, a way for Zevin to tell a story about two brilliant young people and their decades-long on-and-off friendship, and their place in the time in which they lived, that being the waning days of the 20th century and the early years of the 21st. I’m not finished with this book yet but I have an idea of how it’s going to turn out, and I have a further idea that it will end very differently from how I want it to end, because I always want a happy ending. 

SPOILER ALERT. Not a happy ending. But the tragedy was foreseeable, and so we don’t have another Ian McEwan Atonement situation on our hands. I’m not mad at Gabrielle Zevin. Ian McEwan, on the other hand, remains on my list. I can't stay on message to save my life, but I can hold a grudge until the end of time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment