Thursday, April 11, 2024

Low speed

I’m WFH today even though it’s Thursday because I don’t feel well and if I was a normal and reasonable person I’d be in bed or at least on the couch napping and watching Netflix or something but instead I’m at my desk because I feel duty-bound not to take a whole sick day. I have a lot of work to do. 

MSNBC is on as background noise. I turn it off every so often but then I hear weird noises from the attic or the walls or the refrigerator, which sounds like it’s committing axe murder every time it drops a load of ice, and so then I turn it back on so that I don’t freak out at all the weird noises. Whatever is causing those weird noises is still going on, to be sure; but if I can’t hear it, then I don’t worry about it. 

OJ Simpson’s face was the first thing I saw when I turned the TV back on and I wondered for a moment if he’d confessed to the murders of Nicole Brown and Ron Goldman, or if he’d been arrested again for some unrelated offense. I was actually shocked when I saw the chyron. He was 76 - not that old but not so young that his death should come as a shock. But it did come as a shock. 

A few years ago, the subject of the OJ Simpson trial came up in our house. I think it was because my husband was watching the "American Crime Story" dramatization. I told my kids, who were probably 17 and 14 at the time, that it was just not possible for me to convey exactly how big a deal the OJ arrest and trial were in 1994 and 1995; how completely that story dominated the cultural conversation. “Imagine,” I said, “if Tom Brady or LeBron James or Aaron Judge was suspected of murder, and then they tried to escape into Canada or Mexico with a posse of police cars chasing them. That’s how big a deal it was.” I think they got it, but it’s also one of those things that you had to experience first-hand. It’s a Gen X thing. These kids wouldn’t understand. 

And that’s all I have to say about OJ except that I hope that the Goldman and Brown families have found some measure of comfort and solace. I hope that OJ reconciled with God before he died. I hope that all the dead rest in peace. 


No comments:

Post a Comment