Thursday, August 29, 2019

Terrible beauty

As I mentioned here, I read Say Nothing this summer. As I also mentioned to all three of you who eagerly await my critical opinion, I wrote a whole post about it. So here it is.

*****
I went to Ireland in March. In one of the many supreme ironies that make up my life, I cannot stop thinking about the place that I had absolutely no desire to visit in the first place. Like many Irish-Americans, I grew up with sentimental Irish-Catholic parents who overdid St. Patrick’s Day and hung Cead Mile Failte signs on the front door and had 26+6=1 bumper stickers on their cars. My mother still has that bumper sticker on her car. By the time I reached my twenties, I had developed a hard shell of dismissive cynicism about what I thought of as my so-called Irish roots. So, no, I didn’t want to go to Ireland; and I really didn’t want to go to Ireland on St. Patrick’s Day, which is what we did. And then when I finally went, I loved the place and felt more at home there than in any place I’ve ever been. And I miss it and I can’t wait to go back. Oh, the irony.

So anyway, I have been reading more about Ireland, north and south, in sort of a piecemeal, whatever-looks-interesting way. In addition to being about Ireland, Say Nothing is also a critical-mass kind of book--I kept hearing about it until there was no longer any way to avoid it.

The author, Patrick Radden Keefe (who is American) appeared on the Chris Hayes show on MSNBC. I have been avoiding political media, especially TV, but one night as critical mass for this book was still building, I flipped past MSNBC only to flip right back when I noticed the words “Author of Say Nothing” on the lower third of the screen. Keefe was Hayes’s guest.

I had to turn the show off after just a few minutes of listening to these two American thought leaders recoiling in horror at the primitive Irish-Catholic way of life in which families simply accept as many children as they’re given without resort to contraception or other forms of family planning, as Jean McConville and her family apparently did. I don’t criticize anyone who wants to limit their family size. I have only two children and sometimes they’re two more than I can handle. And I would not want to live in Divis Flats or anything like it. But the materialistic worldview that believes that too many children and not enough comfort leads inevitably to misery is just so boring and tiresome.

But I digress. You should be used to that.

*****

If you had any doubt that race is a factor in how the world judges wrongdoing, then any history of the IRA should make you reconsider. If like me, you grew up in an Irish-Catholic neighborhood in a northeastern city of the United States - - Philadelphia in my case, but New York or Providence or (of course) Boston will do just as well - - then perhaps you had parents or grandparents who had a "yes but…" attitude toward the IRA. "Aren't they terrorists?" you might have asked. "Yes but…" insert excuse about religious persecution and civil rights.

And they had a point of course, to the extent that stops short of murder. Catholics in Northern Ireland endured ridiculous discrimination and persecution at the hands of the Protestant majority, who were empowered and enabled by the British. They had every right to be outraged. But the same Americans who despise Islamic terrorists excuse the IRA terrorists, who were just as murderous and just as fanatical, but also white and poetic and wryly funny and Aran sweater-clad and so just romantic enough that Irish-Americans could excuse or at least understand their cruelty and violence. If only al-Qaeda terrorists quoted Yeats or Joyce. If only ISIS looked good in cable knit.

*****
Extreme dedication to a political cause can overcome a person’s humanity. In communist countries, children were taught to betray their families in loyalty to the state. In the United States in 2019, people end friendships or stop speaking to parents and siblings who support Trump (or who don’t). In Northern Ireland in 1972, a mother of ten, a recent widow, was abducted from her home in front of her children, driven to a secret location, and then shot dead and buried in a shallow grave, because she was believed to have betrayed the IRA. Her body was found 30 years later. Her children grew up not knowing what had happened to her, wondering if she had disappeared, wondering if they’d ever see her alive again. What cause justifies a heartless cold-blooded murder without even the comfort of the dead body to bury and give certainty of the loved one’s death? How do the murderers live with the dreadful suffering of 10 orphaned children?

Gerry Adams is the main villain of Say Nothing, though not the only one. The book firmly dismisses Adams' claim that he was never an IRA member, and also partially blames him for the deaths of six of the 1981 hunger strikers. It also confirms Brendan Hughes' and Dolours Price's assertion that Adams alone ordered the abduction and murder of Jean McConville. Hughes and Price are treated with more understanding but their moral responsibility for the murder (and several other murders) is also clear. Other than Jean McConville and her poor children, Hughes is the saddest figure in the book. To his death, he defended the decision to kill McConville. He claimed to be certain that she was an informer, and like many other IRA soldiers, he believed that death was the only reasonable punishment for informers.

Apparently, no evidence exists that would prove that Jean McConville was an informer; and the circumstantial evidence--she was a widowed mother of 10 children, poorly educated, overwhelmed, not well-connected, not political--seems to suggest strongly that she wasn't. Brendan Hughes suffered from PTSD and alcoholism and remained a believer in the republican cause until he died. Maybe he really believed that Jean McConville was an informer and that she deserved to die. Or maybe he had to convince himself that she was, in order to live with the guilt of murdering her and leaving her 10 children to the tender mercies of the Northern Irish social welfare system.

Dolours Price was more complicated. Like Hughes, she rejected the Good Friday Agreement and condemned Gerry Adams and the other establishment figures who agreed to abandon the armed struggle. But she was motivated by something other than politics, too. She was proud of the hunger strike; proud of her determination and endurance. Keefe writes that Price “retained a ferocious pride in her own headlong personal history. When an American graduate student named Tara Keenan visited her in 2003, Price said, ‘I would like to think that what I did was to illustrate to the world the ability of any regular human being to push themselves to the limits and beyond, physically and mentally, because of some deeply felt belief.’”

In another life, Dolours Price might have been a great athlete or scholar or something else that requires extreme dedication and self-discipline. Of course, by participating in the murder of the widowed mother of ten children, she also pushed herself past the limits of human compassion and decency. The hunger strike ruined her body, and the flashbacks from the murders she committed ruined her mind and she died alone, addicted to drugs and alcohol. Maybe she found peace and reconciliation with God before she died. Maybe Brendan Hughes did, too. I hope so.

*****

"Now and in time to be
Wherever green is worn
All changed, changed utterly
A terrible beauty is born."

(W. B. Yeats, “Easter 1916”)

Yeats was an idiot, for lots of reasons other than this stupid poem. I can’t think about what happened to Jean McConville, nor the sad and broken-down later lives and deaths of Dolours Price and Brendan Hughes and reconcile the words “terrible” and “beauty.” There was no beauty in Jean McConville’s murder, no beauty in the abuse that her orphaned children endured, no beauty in the self-destruction of Brendan Hughes and Dolours Price and so many others who sacrificed their humanity to the Republican cause. It was only terrible. Terrible and a waste and not noble at all.

I have only been to Ireland once, 21 years after the Good Friday agreement. The country that I became acquainted with is peaceful and prosperous and happy, and that’s the only experience I have of Ireland. It's hard for me to reconcile the green and happy place that I loved at first sight with the dark maze of menace and secrets and violence and fear that was Northern Ireland in the 1970s.

There are grown people on both sides of the border who don't remember the Troubles, who only really know Ireland as it is now. But they have parents and grandparents who do remember the past, and who know that it could happen again. It’s happening again already.

*****
I finally finished the book. I was so absorbed in the story that it was hard to pull myself back to Maryland in 2019. And I found myself as angry with Gerry Adams as Dolours Price and Brendan Hughes were and more sympathetic toward Price and Hughes than any reasonable person should have been. Another day or so and I'd probably have burned a Union Jack and bought a 26+6=1 bumper sticker.

This is probably why I resisted going to Ireland for so long. There was always the danger that I would get attached. There was always the possibility that I'd go native.

*****
After I finished Say Nothing, I read Can You Ever Forgive Me? I’ll write about that later. Then I read Thatcher, a biography of one of the IRA’s  greatest nemeses.

Last week, I had to take a selfie. I was the employee of the week at my job (I went from employee of the year to employee of the week--how the mighty have fallen) and HR wanted to post a picture of me on the company social media accounts. I was working from home and no one else was around to take a picture of me, so I had to do it myself. It was a mess. I took one really, really good one--my hair looked amazing, and the light must have been just right because my face was clear and unlined and glowing. I could have passed for 35 in that picture. Unfortunately, I took it in front of the bathroom door, and I didn’t want to send a picture that had a toilet as a backdrop. So I took another one from another angle, and it was horrifying. I looked like Barbara Bush, God rest her soul.

*****

I ended up finding a picture of myself from 2018 that was not terribly flattering, but not hideous either. It kind of looked like I actually look. It was as close to the truth as a picture can get, And somewhere in between Margaret Thatcher and Dolours Price, there might be something close to the truth about the Northern Ireland and the Troubles.. I won’t actually get to that truth by reading two books, but it’s a start. One question that anyone who has ever studied Northern Ireland must ask is who can ever understand anything, ever? Who but God can ever know the whole truth?

No comments:

Post a Comment