Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Scheduling

It's Monday, and I had a a training class today, for a subject about which I know absolutely nothing, that subject being Microsoft Project. The trainer started the class by asking each of us (15 or so) to introduce ourselves and tell the class a little about our Project experience. I was the only person in the room to claim no experience at all, but the trainer didn't seem troubled. And that's what training is for, amirite?

I sat in class all day, and I still don't know how to schedule anything. We spent a lot of time covering what I would describe as technical-administrative background, like licensing and server vs.  online and desktop client (whatever that is) vs. Professional. I'm sure that it's helpful to know the difference between one MS Project product and another, but I'd prefer to learn how to actually use the tool, which is pretty confusing. Even the iconography is confusing. Why a push-pin for "Manually Schedule"? Why not a pen or a pencil? Or a calendar?

*****

Training Day 2: We're actually learning how to schedule things today, which is reinforcing my already-certain knowledge that no one should allow me to schedule or plan anything, ever.

I have one kid graduating from high school in June, and another one graduating from middle school (and making his Confirmation). I'm awash in dates and deadlines, all of which are in writing, but in lots of different places.

One thing that I do know is that both graduations take place on the same day, at the same time, in different places. In project management parlance, this is what we call a conflict. I'm not sure yet how we'll resolve this conflict--split up to cover both events, or skip the middle school graduation altogether in favor of the high school one. The eighth grader won't be happy with that solution, and I won't blame him.

Later tonight, I'm going to dig through all of my notes and emails and make a single consolidated list of all of my dates to remember: Graduation and rehearsal (its predecessor task), times two; spring concerts (also 2), track meets (3), prom (1), Confirmation and rehearsal (1 of each), awards nights (2), baseball games (who knows how many), and college signing deadline (looming).

This is all relatively simple. People do this all the time. They raise their kids and move them confidently from one stage to the next, completing all of the associated administrative tasks with little or no drama. I have no idea why it's so difficult for me. 

But do you know what's not simple? Microsoft Project. I do not claim to be the brightest bulb in the proverbial chandelier, nor the sharpest knife in the proverbial drawer. But I cannot see the value of a scheduling tool--a thing that is supposed to simplify and clarify--that is so complicated that two full days of training leave me nearly as ignorant as I was when we started this class. 

My life, on the other hand, is not that complicated. I don't need enterprise-level software to track and manage my critical path. I just need to write shit down in one place. If only I would. 

No comments:

Post a Comment