Monday, March 18, 2019

Dubliner

Everything looks better after you sleep. Things make so much more sense.

We arrived in Dublin at 5:15 AM on Sunday. After a brief regroup, we came into the city and just joined the St Patrick's Day crowds. My traveling companions were exhausted by 3 PM, having been up all night, and I was too, but I didn't want to sleep and miss daylight in this beautiful city. So I went back out and explored Dublin on foot. I was literally asleep at the table at 8:30 PM last night, and then I slept like I'd never slept before.

It's Monday now, and I think my body is on Dublin time. I woke at my normal early hour, dressed, drank delicious instant coffee, and went out to walk along the quays. My mother and sister and friend were still in bed, and they take some time to get ready in the morning, so I had two hours to wander and take pictures and breathe the chilly spring air.

When everyone was ready, we went to shop on Grafton Street, and then to visit the Book of Kells at Trinity College. I spent more money today than I normally spend in a month, and I'm not even panicking about it. I might suffer buyer's remorse over the two (one for me and one for my husband) Aran sweaters and silver and Connemara marble jewelry, but I'd probably be even sorrier not to have brought something home.

The Book of Kells, though beautiful, was a little disappointing. The exhibit was well done but only two of the four books are on display, so visitors can only see four folios at a time. But the Long Room at Trinity College Library was astonishing and well worth the 14 euro admission price. I'll remember those ancient stacks of books and the long, dark history-filled corridor that houses them forever.

We're going to Kerry tomorrow, via Irish Rail or Iarnród Éireann, I'll miss Dublin but we'll be back for a night on Thursday.


No comments:

Post a Comment