Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Film blanc

I now have almost everything I need for my trip. All I have to do is get on the plane and fly roughly 3,000 miles across the Atlantic Ocean and away from home. I don't get out much.

Oh, and I have to exchange some money. Dollars to euros. I'm monitoring the exchange rates, which makes me feel like a wheeling, dealing day trader. Not to mention an international traveler. I do live an interesting life, don't I?

*****

So, so interesting. I bought a rain jacket, and then I tested it in the actual rain. The rain jacket looks nice and it kept me as dry as a piece of toast in steady, though not heavily pouring rain. So with the jacket and bag situation under control, I just have to figure out what to pack and how to pack it, because I'll probably need more than the rain jacket.

Did I mention that I hate leaving home? Is that inconsistent with liking travel? Because I do like to travel and see new places and people. I just don't like to be away from home.

When I bought the rain jacket, I also bought a gray full-zip fleece jacket with a collar, because I believe in truthful packaging, so when I'm in a foreign country, I should probably dress like a middle-aged suburban American lady. The people should know what they're getting. The fleece jacket is very warm and comfortable with deep hand-warmer pockets. It's a little big and not particularly stylish or flattering, but it feels as secure as a turtle's shell.

You get where I'm going with this, right? The ugly, but comfortable fleece as a metaphor for home? OK, let's move on.

*****
It's Sunday night now, and I'm watching the Oscars. I'm not sure what to think about this crazy new host-less format. I guess it doesn't matter that much. I was disappointed that Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, and Maya Rudolph led with a Trump joke, giving him Twitter fodder. And the Adam Lambert/Queen performance was only so-so; which of course, it would be, because Adam Lambert isn't Freddie Mercury. No one is Freddie Mercury, God rest his soul.

And the presenters? Why didn't Sam Rockwell present the Best Supporting Actress award? I'm confused. And although I'm sorry to see Amy Adams overlooked again, I'm delighted that Regina King is finally receiving the recognition that she has deserved for so long.

I don't know how late I'll stay awake tonight, so I can't commit to a full live-blog. Contain your disappointment. Here are some additional impressions:
  • Who doesn't love Queen? Glenn Close and Octavia Spencer singing along with "We Will Rock You" were a highlight of the show. 
  • Speaking of Queen, my favorite part of "Bohemian Rhapsody" was Rami Malek's speech about becoming what he (he being Freddie Mercury) was born to be. I thought about this as I watched Alison Janney during a pre-show red carpet interview. She's one of the few women her age who doesn't appear surgically altered, and she looks like a woman who has become exactly who she was born to be. Something to aspire to. 
  • Why is Pharrell Williams wearing shorts? Silly. 
  • I thought I saw Dana Carvey in the audience and wondered what he was doing there. DUH! Who else but Dana Carvey and Mike Myers could have introduced "Bohemian Rhapsody?" We're not worthy. No one is. 
I was so hoping that Richard E. Grant would win for "Can You Ever Forgive Me," a movie that I can't stop thinking about, but Mahershala Ali was also wonderful in "Green Book." It's just hard for me to understand the reasoning behind a Supporting Actor nomination for the actor playing one of the two lead characters in the movie. But what do I know? 

Actually, I do know a bit. I have seen seven of the nominated movies ("A Star is Born," "Black Panther," "Can You Ever Forgive Me," "Green Book," "Bohemian Rhapsody," "BlacKKKlansman," and "Vice"). This is a high number for me. I usually see only one or two of the movies before the show, and then catch up later.

*****
I did end up watching the entire show. I wish that Spike Lee hadn't given Trump any Twitter ammunition, but no one can silence Spike Lee, I guess. I share his disdain for the President, though I don't share his outrage over the surprise Best Picture win for "Green Book." I liked "Green Book." And I like Spike Lee.

As for the show itself, it was fine. That's all anyone can expect from the Oscars now, I guess. It was fine, but it was boring. When Spike Lee turning his back and Melissa McCarthy wearing stuffed bunnies are among your most outrageous moments, then the Academy Awards as a broadcast event is probably all but over. Next year, I guess they can just slap the winners' names on PowerPoint slides, stream the presentation on YouTube, and be done with it. It's a little sad.

On the other hand, the Oscars broadcast makes my raincoat and fleece shopping and near-daily exchange rate check-ins (the dollar and the euro are both very stable currencies--the rates have not budged in weeks) seem interesting, even compelling. In a few weeks, I'll be on a plane flying over the ocean to the land of (some of) my ancestors, so who cares about the Oscars? Real life is always more interesting than the movies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment